By Jonathan Benthall,Robert Lacey
1) The old roots of Islamic philanthropy in non secular traditions and geopolitical routine
2) The interactions of the Gulf charities with "Western" aid and improvement associations - now stressed due to budgetary constraints
3) a variety of case experiences from the center East, Africa, and South Asia
4) The effect of violent extremism at the area, with the felony repercussions that experience - particularly within the USA
5) the hot heritage of makes an attempt to relieve the hindrances confronted by way of bona fide Islamic charities, whose absence from significant clash zones now leaves a vacuum for extremist teams to penetrate
6) The customers for a much less politicized Islamic charity area while the so-called "war on terror" ultimately loses its salience.
Read Online or Download Gulf Charities and Islamic Philanthropy in the Age of Terror and Beyond PDF
Best islam books
Thought of the main authoritative single-volume reference paintings on Islam within the modern international, the German-language Der Islam in der Gegenwart, at present in its 5th version, deals a wealth of authoritative details at the non secular, political, social, and cultural lifetime of Islamic international locations and of Islamic immigrant groups somewhere else.
This paintings is an authoritative compilation of Islamic legislation in line with the jurisprudence of the Shiite Imam, Ja`far al-Sadiq. In quantity 1, the legislation facing issues of worship (prayers, fasting, alms, hajj, etc…) are provided in concise, transparent narrative. quantity 2 offers a precis of the legislation facing civil (transactional) issues, as a rule identified in Islamic legislation as, mu`amalat, together with agreement, inheritance, bequest, public trusts, marriage, and divorce legislation.
During this novel point of view on a much-maligned determine, Michal Biran explains the huge effect Chinggis Khan has had upon the Islamic global, either optimistic and destructive. frequently criticized as a mass-slaughterer, pillager, and arch-enemy of the religion, Biran indicates that his confident impact upon Islam used to be additionally enormous - his legacy obvious in crucial Asia even this present day.
The 1st complete size quantity to strategy the premodern Mediterranean from an absolutely interdisciplinary standpoint, this assortment defines the Mediterranean as a coherent sector with targeted styles of social, political, and cultural alternate. The essays discover the creation, amendment, and flow of identities in keeping with faith, ethnicity, occupation, gender, and standing as loose or slave inside of 3 exact Mediterranean geographies: islands, entrepôts and empires.
Extra info for Gulf Charities and Islamic Philanthropy in the Age of Terror and Beyond
Gulf Charities and Islamic Philanthropy in the Age of Terror and Beyond by Jonathan Benthall,Robert Lacey